Your child’s knowledge of technology will grow naturally through its use with the daily curriculum. Your child will develop technology skills required in the upper grades, college and the workplace. Ultimately, your child will be prepared to choose from such computer-based courses as computer science, cyber-security, web development, graphics, code writing, etc.
Teachers embed the use of technology into the school curriculum when and where it is appropriate. Teachers focus on creativity, innovation, communication and collaboration as your child discovers how to use technology as a tool to gather valuable, informational and educational information.
What sort of technology is available to my child in the classroom?
Devices and hardware vary by grade level. However, typical devices available to students include:
- Desktop computers
- Lightspeed amplification, which allows students to hear words being said
- Interactive projection
With what technology skills will my child leave elementary school?
Your child will leave elementary school knowing how to:
- Create original products on a number of platforms
- Communicate an online presence beyond the classroom to a large audience
- Discover how to search for valid information
- Collect, analyze and evaluate data to solve problems
- Practice ethics for online behavior
With what technology skills will my child leave middle and high school?
Children continue to develop advanced technological skills and are offered specialized courses in the middle and high school years, such as cyber-security and web design.
Children practice computer coding in kindergarten through 12th grade. We know that not every child will be a coder, however, children benefit from this exercise by problem solving, practicing patience and innovation, working together and communicating thoughts and ideas.
We want our children to navigate multiple computing devices and use software applications that will position them to succeed in college, career and society. It has been demonstrated that technology helps develop soft skills sought after by employers.
How is technology used in my child’s classroom?
We know that most children have technology at home, and most have it in their backpacks. We do not discourage the use of personal devices in the classroom when the teacher or the lesson calls for it.
We want our children to be comfortable with technology and gain the skills necessary to be successful at work at in college.
In our classrooms, technology is used to:
- Allow students to be creative in how they learn
- Allow students the ability to share what they have learned with their parents or guardians
- Explore subject matter deeper through research
- Assist students in their learning
- Communicate and collaborate on projects and assignments out of the classroom
- Build bridges between collaborations, critical thinking, creativity and communications
- Build a foundation on which to build a career
- Learn how to use online sharing platforms by submitting homework from home